Skip to main content

Experimenting with photography

 I found an artist, on Pinterest, called Johan Thörnqvist, i started looking through his work and i really liked them, i couldn't find out much about his techniques ect, as most thing written about him on the internet are in Swedish. I did find a web sight with some of his work ( https://www.inprnt.com/gallery/snarlik/ ). 



I really liked these and they made me think about what i can do in my photography, what if i took the photos and painted on top of them? I really liked this idea i decided to try it out with some of the photographs i had taken for my other unit.

I started with this image by just let my imagination flow...




I think i drew the mice because when i was younger i used to look at a wall or shelves or something and image how a tiny person or a small animal would make there way to the top. I quite liked this technique and decided to take it further!


I liked the idea of using the mice on a photograph of my cat, i thought it was a bit of fun to play around with and quite sweet. i also did one more just to get the feel for it. 

I liked the idea of printing off an image and playing around with it then taking a photo of that so i decided to play around with that idea.


With this one i burned out my face and used an ash tray to fill the negative space. I really like how this turned out. I had the idea of burning out my face with cigarettes, as i smoke and its a habit i hate i have, because of the effects they have on your skin/ appearance and i was burning it over an ash tray two collect the ash from the paper, and when it was cooling i thought it worked so well having the actual contents as the background.

i continued this idea but with lung shapes on a photograph of my friend, i think it would be better if the top she is wearing was all one colour, and the lungs i cut out are a bit lop sided. I think burning the image works better but for specific shapes i could loose control of the shape. Since i already took this image i decided to not precious about it and tried it out anyway.  

I think this looks better now with the burn marks i think it makes the image stronger. i did the same with one of the images of myself.

I think these are quite interesting and has made me think more about what is photography? in the last units i got really into collage making, and this has made me think about taking photographs and making a collage out of them! quite excited to give that a go! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Art & Design project HNC

Art & Design project HNC This year for project i wanted to work with moving image again but try and really push myself. i dont want to ignore the fact that i have done research before, i want this to seem like i am pushing forwards from what i have done before. Here are blog posts i have done in the past that i am going to use as a foundation to build upon. https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/01/for-my-new-unit-i-have-decided-to-look.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/03/specialist-techniques-film-part-1_15.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/specialist-techniques-looking-at-more.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/green-screen.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2018/06/art-project-evaluation.html Tony Oursler  is an American multimedia and installation artist. I looked at his work last year. I really liked his work, I love the first two and the use of 3D mapping for the p...

Starting experimenting with photography

After looking into the work of Henry Weston i decided to try and experiment,first, with negative space. It was something that stood out to me a lot in some of his work, as i spoke about in my report. i started by just taking a few pictures as i noticed it around me. I think these are a very interesting start and have a lot of potential, i decided to play around with the editing a bit by cropping them, changing the contrast and making them black and white.  i like this image and i think composition wise it works. i also think it looks good in black and white as it has gotten rid of the chance of clashing colours and sets a different kind of mood. The subject is in focus and it looks quite sharp. I cropped it a little and changed the contrast and exposure.  i prefer this image to the top one as i like the spacing between the feet compared to the first one i think it is more visually pleasing, i also rotated this image just as an experiment. ...

Experimenting with photography - identity

I started off this series of experiments by thinking about myself, how i see myself and how i choose to be seen, how do i identify myself? I started thinking this when i was doing my report on Art Wolfe, looking at his human canvas photographs i wanted to do something with body painting, and i am working on that. But i wanted to try out digital editing first, i enjoy this kind of art and wanted to experiment with it. I started by taking a picture of myself, nothing fancy just me in front of a white background. I have always thought about myself as someone who struggles with identity, in some ways i feel like i stand out but in other ways i feel like i can blend into a background or a crowd when i want too. i kept this thought going by blurring out my face in the photograph. I then decided to change the face and background white to match each other, i liked the way this image looked and felt like it expressed my feelings of no identity. but not strong enough about hiding...