Skip to main content

Experimenting with photography

 I found an artist, on Pinterest, called Johan Thörnqvist, i started looking through his work and i really liked them, i couldn't find out much about his techniques ect, as most thing written about him on the internet are in Swedish. I did find a web sight with some of his work ( https://www.inprnt.com/gallery/snarlik/ ). 



I really liked these and they made me think about what i can do in my photography, what if i took the photos and painted on top of them? I really liked this idea i decided to try it out with some of the photographs i had taken for my other unit.

I started with this image by just let my imagination flow...




I think i drew the mice because when i was younger i used to look at a wall or shelves or something and image how a tiny person or a small animal would make there way to the top. I quite liked this technique and decided to take it further!


I liked the idea of using the mice on a photograph of my cat, i thought it was a bit of fun to play around with and quite sweet. i also did one more just to get the feel for it. 

I liked the idea of printing off an image and playing around with it then taking a photo of that so i decided to play around with that idea.


With this one i burned out my face and used an ash tray to fill the negative space. I really like how this turned out. I had the idea of burning out my face with cigarettes, as i smoke and its a habit i hate i have, because of the effects they have on your skin/ appearance and i was burning it over an ash tray two collect the ash from the paper, and when it was cooling i thought it worked so well having the actual contents as the background.

i continued this idea but with lung shapes on a photograph of my friend, i think it would be better if the top she is wearing was all one colour, and the lungs i cut out are a bit lop sided. I think burning the image works better but for specific shapes i could loose control of the shape. Since i already took this image i decided to not precious about it and tried it out anyway.  

I think this looks better now with the burn marks i think it makes the image stronger. i did the same with one of the images of myself.

I think these are quite interesting and has made me think more about what is photography? in the last units i got really into collage making, and this has made me think about taking photographs and making a collage out of them! quite excited to give that a go! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

...

When i was a kid, i got asked to produce a drawing that expressed Autumn, the winner got the work in a calendar for the school. I worked and i worked on this drawing, expressing my feelings of Autumn. I won. I told my Mum and Dad that they could buy the calendar with my work in it, i was so proud. I showed my parents my work, and although they were happy for me told me they that although it was good, my sister's new drawing of a bird was better... more realistic. Through out all of my childhood and teenage years, i was told i was not as good as my sister and to this day i still do. I would constantly compare my work to hers, and eventually i gave up art completely. I had a pang of jealousy when i would see other peoples art work, and suppress the jealous feeling towards my sister and the anger i felt towards my parents. I felt even more guilt and as i grew i built up this wall around myself, i put on a mask of a confident girl, who did not feel jealousy, sadness or frustrat

Dada Collage part 2

I released i was trying to copy Hannah Hoch's    Das Schone Madchen/ beautiful girl collage instead of understanding it so i decided to research the artists and this peace of work i found out this is a photomontage made in the 1920's that deals with gender issues amidst the dawning of Germany’s New Woman. the hair and womans body is looking at beauty trends and expectations in women of that time and the Car parts are contrasting with the way society looks at women, even today. I started noting similarities in what i felt Hoch was trying to say was the modern women in the 20's and what is a modern woman today. trying to keep similar colours and tone, i chose a modern day hair style as well as a measuring tape and lipstick to suggest modern day female beauty standards, i chose the black and white woman at the top for minimalism but put the iconic 2015 brows over the top, i kept the BMW badge but c hanged it to the 2015 one as i felt their is still an association with

View point Task 1.

Conduct market research into the range of publications available for the target age group . Free and for sale. Contemporary and historical sources - visual and non - visual.  I wanted to start my research with a range of publications. At this point i am unsure where i am going / what i want to do so i thought i would just start with exploring a wide range of publications as the brief says to try and find my interest. I started with a well known magazine that 18 - 30 year olds would look at, i thought about interests and started with fashion.  Vogue  I liked this cover above because it is very minimal, and i think that is more stylish and clean looking. I like the black and white look and the muted tones in it, like the title 'Vogue' i think works really well with the black and white. The magazine usually has more type in it.... I thought this was a good example of what an issue of vogue usually looks like, it is still quite minimal and looks ver