Skip to main content

Cubism Phases

Cubism is one of the most influential art movements. It was created by Pablo Picasso and Georges Braques between 1907 - 1914. It Was hugely inspired by the works on Cezanne and was the idea that images could be created that showed multiple view points and by breaking down an object back to there geometric parts. 

Cubism had two distinctive phases, the first being...


The Analytical Phase:
(1907-12)

The name Analytical suggests analysis, the close examination of a subjects in order to create flat shapes, lines and angles and overlapping planes. An example of this is : 

Georges Braque
Bottle and Fishes circa 1910-2
Oil on canvas
The painting above is by Georges Braque. He was a French Painter and one of the creators of Cubism. This painting is of a bottle, fish and plate on a table with a drawer.

It looks very busy, fractured and broken. I know that Analytical cubism used a small range of dark colours like blacks, blues and greys and i can see it in this painting,I don't see a lot tonal changes, i.e. i don't see a lot of lights and darks. Analytical cubism paintings appeared very muted with dark tones which i can see in this painting. 

Another good example of the Analytical phase is:

                  Juan Gris bottles and knife-1911
Oil on canvas
This painting is by Juan Gris, he was a spanish painter and his works were very distinctive in the cubism movement. Again the objects are broken down, I like the simplicity of this painting and how the objects are taken back to their basic shape. I also really enjoy how the brush strokes are very dramatic but also controlled. They are quite similar to what i have seen on some of Cezanne's later works and earlier cubism by Picasso. 

The second phase is...

The Synthetic Phase :
(1913 through the 1920s)

The synthetic phase in Cubism was composed of fewer, simpler forms in brighter colours. 

Collage was used with paint, they would build up their images with collaged objects and pictures. Interesting because instead of close examination of an object, analysing the shape and structure, they would actually create a shape, with a paper cut out of drawn line. 

Pablo Picasso
Bowl of Fruit, Violin and Bottle 1914
Oil on canvas
This is a good example of Synthetic Cubism because Picasso put together, or 'synthesised', areas of colour and texture to give the impression of recognisable objects. The shapes and colours are balanced to maintain the appearance of flatness.In this painting i can see the suggestions of a table, fruit, a bottle and what i think is a violin. I noticed the strong flat colours as well as texture that i found out was grains of sand.


Although i really appreciate these works i do find myself leaning towards the Analytical phase of cubism more because, To me cubism is really about the idea of capturing time. If we moved at the speed of light we would see everything compact into a single point and we could see everything at once. We cannot move at the speed of light, so as artists we imagine, experiment and create.  

I feel the Analytical phase speaks to me more about that idea, its how i image it would look if i could move through time as we move space. I would see all three dimensions from all perspective points all at once and i think that would look like an Analytical cubism painting.

One thing that is very interesting is that while Albert Einstein was asking a similar question to this, what the world would look like if you were riding on a beam of light, The groundwork for cubism was being created. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...

When i was a kid, i got asked to produce a drawing that expressed Autumn, the winner got the work in a calendar for the school. I worked and i worked on this drawing, expressing my feelings of Autumn. I won. I told my Mum and Dad that they could buy the calendar with my work in it, i was so proud. I showed my parents my work, and although they were happy for me told me they that although it was good, my sister's new drawing of a bird was better... more realistic. Through out all of my childhood and teenage years, i was told i was not as good as my sister and to this day i still do. I would constantly compare my work to hers, and eventually i gave up art completely. I had a pang of jealousy when i would see other peoples art work, and suppress the jealous feeling towards my sister and the anger i felt towards my parents. I felt even more guilt and as i grew i built up this wall around myself, i put on a mask of a confident girl, who did not feel jealousy, sadness or frustrat

Dada Collage part 2

I released i was trying to copy Hannah Hoch's    Das Schone Madchen/ beautiful girl collage instead of understanding it so i decided to research the artists and this peace of work i found out this is a photomontage made in the 1920's that deals with gender issues amidst the dawning of Germany’s New Woman. the hair and womans body is looking at beauty trends and expectations in women of that time and the Car parts are contrasting with the way society looks at women, even today. I started noting similarities in what i felt Hoch was trying to say was the modern women in the 20's and what is a modern woman today. trying to keep similar colours and tone, i chose a modern day hair style as well as a measuring tape and lipstick to suggest modern day female beauty standards, i chose the black and white woman at the top for minimalism but put the iconic 2015 brows over the top, i kept the BMW badge but c hanged it to the 2015 one as i felt their is still an association with

View point Task 1.

Conduct market research into the range of publications available for the target age group . Free and for sale. Contemporary and historical sources - visual and non - visual.  I wanted to start my research with a range of publications. At this point i am unsure where i am going / what i want to do so i thought i would just start with exploring a wide range of publications as the brief says to try and find my interest. I started with a well known magazine that 18 - 30 year olds would look at, i thought about interests and started with fashion.  Vogue  I liked this cover above because it is very minimal, and i think that is more stylish and clean looking. I like the black and white look and the muted tones in it, like the title 'Vogue' i think works really well with the black and white. The magazine usually has more type in it.... I thought this was a good example of what an issue of vogue usually looks like, it is still quite minimal and looks ver