Skip to main content

...

When i was a kid, i got asked to produce a drawing that expressed Autumn, the winner got the work in a calendar for the school. I worked and i worked on this drawing, expressing my feelings of Autumn.

I won.

I told my Mum and Dad that they could buy the calendar with my work in it, i was so proud. I showed my parents my work, and although they were happy for me told me they that although it was good, my sister's new drawing of a bird was better... more realistic.

Through out all of my childhood and teenage years, i was told i was not as good as my sister and to this day i still do. I would constantly compare my work to hers, and eventually i gave up art completely. I had a pang of jealousy when i would see other peoples art work, and suppress the jealous feeling towards my sister and the anger i felt towards my parents.

I felt even more guilt and as i grew i built up this wall around myself, i put on a mask of a confident girl, who did not feel jealousy, sadness or frustration. I was there to make you feel better, to listen and to make you laugh. I though that if i expressed any other feelings it would show weakness and vulnerability and i convinced myself these were bad things, that i would let people down.

When my sister got ill and as i grew older i started to see the cracks in mental health in my parents i felt the need to be the stronger one, the rock that supports all of these things and return to art, to make them proud and to finish what my sister started.

I now see coming to college was the best thing i could have done, for myself and for no one else.

I have always been one of the best, but never the best. I am realising it is ok to feel things, to not be happy all the time, not to compare myself to other people, at college, work or in my family. That i can feel these things.

So i want to show my feelings, to have them really seen.

I don't feel good enough, i never have. I constantly get down on myself and what i produce, say and do. I always have and i think i just found the root of it. I started over thinking after a talk in class today about why i feel certain things and this just fell out on this page...

I need a way to express this in a way couldn't explain in full, with just words. To get it out of my head and to be seen and let myself be vulnerable.

But how? this is something i have struggled with for so long... so i decided to try and just put marks down with paint, that to me capture feeling...

Frustration... ?





Red, jagged energy. 

Covering it up, suppressing it 










After doing this its like a big weight off my chest! I feel the need to take this further, to keep going and then collage it together... i don't know if any of this makes sense, but i feel like i have just come across a huge break through in my work... we will see!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dada Collage part 2

I released i was trying to copy Hannah Hoch's    Das Schone Madchen/ beautiful girl collage instead of understanding it so i decided to research the artists and this peace of work i found out this is a photomontage made in the 1920's that deals with gender issues amidst the dawning of Germany’s New Woman. the hair and womans body is looking at beauty trends and expectations in women of that time and the Car parts are contrasting with the way society looks at women, even today. I started noting similarities in what i felt Hoch was trying to say was the modern women in the 20's and what is a modern woman today. trying to keep similar colours and tone, i chose a modern day hair style as well as a measuring tape and lipstick to suggest modern day female beauty standards, i chose the black and white woman at the top for minimalism but put the iconic 2015 brows over the top, i kept the BMW badge but c hanged it to the 2015 one as i felt their is still an association with

View point Task 1.

Conduct market research into the range of publications available for the target age group . Free and for sale. Contemporary and historical sources - visual and non - visual.  I wanted to start my research with a range of publications. At this point i am unsure where i am going / what i want to do so i thought i would just start with exploring a wide range of publications as the brief says to try and find my interest. I started with a well known magazine that 18 - 30 year olds would look at, i thought about interests and started with fashion.  Vogue  I liked this cover above because it is very minimal, and i think that is more stylish and clean looking. I like the black and white look and the muted tones in it, like the title 'Vogue' i think works really well with the black and white. The magazine usually has more type in it.... I thought this was a good example of what an issue of vogue usually looks like, it is still quite minimal and looks ver