Skip to main content

Art & design Project PT 2.


Concentrating on collage i wanted to experiment with moving collage, i first took an existing collage and converted the layers on Photoshop to smart objects, then started moving them around.






These were fun to make but just were not grabbing my attention at all, i wanted to go back and think more about what home is. I found this amazing Ted Talks and it really helped inspire my way of thinking about home.




I wanted to start thinking of home as a feeling not something as solid images, so how could i do this? I want to make something that mimics the feeling of home when you are viewing it...

colours, movement, sound.


I decided to look at artists that use colour and movement. While looking around i found an artists called Sonia Falcone. Falcone is a Bolivian painter and artist. Falcone uses a range of mediums, like painting, photography, installation, and sculpture. Her very colourful work seems very spiritual and all linked to her heritage and ancestry.
Color Field Mixed media installation. Clay pots and spices.


Montes-de-Color Oil on canvas, 200 X 125 cm


Windows of the soul II 3D Video Installation



This video installation was exhibited at Santa Cruz Biennale 2010.

The windows of the soul installation links to the world, the universe and its changing form of elements, showing different mixtures of colours. Falcone expresses herself with geometric shapes; structures, vibrations and colour and is inspired by her life and so her experiences. 


I was so interested in this work i wanted to know how it was made, i found out that Falcone used a dark room with  mirrors on both sides of the walls and below on the floor.




She projected her moving colors across six meter thin slats. She used a 3D mapping programme that is controlled by a computer.

I really liked the idea of this and i got really excited by it so i decided to try it out myself. if i could. 


I wanted to first look at the idea of colour and how it is used to express mood. I did a blog post near the beginning of the year on colour theory and how it works.

http://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/colour-first-research.html


I know about warm and cool colours. Warm colours are associated with feelings of warmth,comfort, romance and heat but are also associated with violence and anger. Cool colours are associated with calm, cleansing, cold but also sadness and isolation.

I started researching and came across something called Chromotherapy.  This is a practice used by different cultures, the idea of it is that colours can heal. It is sometimes referred to as light therapy or colorology.

From what i could read In this treatment:
Red = increase circulation.
Yellow = purify the body.
Orange = heal the lungs and to increase energy levels.
Blue = treat pain and illnesses
Indigo = alleviate skin problems.


I stared to look at the more scientific side of colour therapy.

One study i found said that warm-colored placebo pills were reported as more effective than cool-colored placebo pills.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8991013
.
Another that installing blue-colored streetlights can lead to reduced crime in those areas.


One said that the color red causes people to react with greater speed and force.



I found this very interesting and decided to start making work. I wanted to try and capture the feeling of home in the form of a moving collage, but i wanted to try and think more abstractly and collage colours that i think express mood.

so i started creating images, i used collages i had already made in the theme of "home" and i started distorting them using smart filters on photo shop. I thought about the colours in the collages and looked at the idea of cool and warm to try and make images that seemed calming. 









































I then tried to blend them together and i wanted them to move around like my moving collages above. 



I really liked this! i thought it worked so well I then decided to project it in my house to see how well it worked and upload it to Instagram. I wanted to keep working on this, i will upload in a separate blog post. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...

When i was a kid, i got asked to produce a drawing that expressed Autumn, the winner got the work in a calendar for the school. I worked and i worked on this drawing, expressing my feelings of Autumn. I won. I told my Mum and Dad that they could buy the calendar with my work in it, i was so proud. I showed my parents my work, and although they were happy for me told me they that although it was good, my sister's new drawing of a bird was better... more realistic. Through out all of my childhood and teenage years, i was told i was not as good as my sister and to this day i still do. I would constantly compare my work to hers, and eventually i gave up art completely. I had a pang of jealousy when i would see other peoples art work, and suppress the jealous feeling towards my sister and the anger i felt towards my parents. I felt even more guilt and as i grew i built up this wall around myself, i put on a mask of a confident girl, who did not feel jealousy, sadness or frustrat

Dada Collage part 2

I released i was trying to copy Hannah Hoch's    Das Schone Madchen/ beautiful girl collage instead of understanding it so i decided to research the artists and this peace of work i found out this is a photomontage made in the 1920's that deals with gender issues amidst the dawning of Germany’s New Woman. the hair and womans body is looking at beauty trends and expectations in women of that time and the Car parts are contrasting with the way society looks at women, even today. I started noting similarities in what i felt Hoch was trying to say was the modern women in the 20's and what is a modern woman today. trying to keep similar colours and tone, i chose a modern day hair style as well as a measuring tape and lipstick to suggest modern day female beauty standards, i chose the black and white woman at the top for minimalism but put the iconic 2015 brows over the top, i kept the BMW badge but c hanged it to the 2015 one as i felt their is still an association with

View point Task 1.

Conduct market research into the range of publications available for the target age group . Free and for sale. Contemporary and historical sources - visual and non - visual.  I wanted to start my research with a range of publications. At this point i am unsure where i am going / what i want to do so i thought i would just start with exploring a wide range of publications as the brief says to try and find my interest. I started with a well known magazine that 18 - 30 year olds would look at, i thought about interests and started with fashion.  Vogue  I liked this cover above because it is very minimal, and i think that is more stylish and clean looking. I like the black and white look and the muted tones in it, like the title 'Vogue' i think works really well with the black and white. The magazine usually has more type in it.... I thought this was a good example of what an issue of vogue usually looks like, it is still quite minimal and looks ver