Skip to main content

Painting to a theme.


For my painting unit i decided to use the theme interior. I wanted to focus on self portraits. I wanted to create portraits that expressed my interior. Mood, feeling and what i see inside myself. 

I started by looking at what we had learnt in the first stage of this unit, colour theory. I tried using different colour combinations on just simple self portraits. I have always liked a cooler pallet more so, as i love cool blues. But i did try to do warmer paintings as well as complimentary and triad colours.I found a big pull towards using watercolours and i wanted to take this time to practise. 




After experimenting with colour i decided that what i would like to focus on was collage, i had been enjoying it so much with my other units i thought it would be a good way to keep the interest in my work.
For my other units i looked at collage artists and posted blogs but i also kept them, and what i had learnt, in mind while doing this unit. 






I felt like tearing up the paintings and sticking them down was so messy i just didn't feel satisfied with what i was making ... I wanted it to look cleaner. 

I also looked at Matese's cut outs, something he is very well known for and used his work for my own inspiration...

Blue nude

The Snail

The Sheaf

What i love about these is the simplicity of them, but also how sophisticated they are. The colour of them is beautiful,i always stayed away from colour because i didn't know much about it but after learning more i wanted to use it. 

I decided to start cutting up my paintings and collage them together. 


 I  learnt that i have no problem in destroying my work, i quite happily cut up paintings i had spend time on. I did use photocopies but that was mainly to help with time when experimenting with composition.

I really enjoyed using the colored back ground as they gave it a little pop of colour. I liked doing this so i kept going. I liked the idea of having something as a collage that still expressed my face. I liked playing around with scale.I took inspiration from some of Picasso's paintings as i liked his use of colour, scale and line. 

Weeping Woman
Les Trois Danseuses

Head of Woman

Bust of Woman
I wanted to combine what i had learnt in colour theory, with Matese's cut outs and Picasso's structure he used on faces.... 





Eventually this lead me to creating my final images, i wanted to make a small series of 4 collage paintings.  


Over all i would say i did not enjoy this unit as much as others, i found it hard to connect with the work, but i understand the importance of perseverance in work, even when you are not enjoying it. I did start to enjoy it more when i decided to use my paintings in collages. I have a better understanding of how i work, and also what a painting can be. I tend to be quite harsh on myself when producing work, i could have made that better, or done more. But i feel for this unit i came to a natural conclusion and i am happy with the finished works. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...

When i was a kid, i got asked to produce a drawing that expressed Autumn, the winner got the work in a calendar for the school. I worked and i worked on this drawing, expressing my feelings of Autumn. I won. I told my Mum and Dad that they could buy the calendar with my work in it, i was so proud. I showed my parents my work, and although they were happy for me told me they that although it was good, my sister's new drawing of a bird was better... more realistic. Through out all of my childhood and teenage years, i was told i was not as good as my sister and to this day i still do. I would constantly compare my work to hers, and eventually i gave up art completely. I had a pang of jealousy when i would see other peoples art work, and suppress the jealous feeling towards my sister and the anger i felt towards my parents. I felt even more guilt and as i grew i built up this wall around myself, i put on a mask of a confident girl, who did not feel jealousy, sadness or frustrat

Dada Collage part 2

I released i was trying to copy Hannah Hoch's    Das Schone Madchen/ beautiful girl collage instead of understanding it so i decided to research the artists and this peace of work i found out this is a photomontage made in the 1920's that deals with gender issues amidst the dawning of Germany’s New Woman. the hair and womans body is looking at beauty trends and expectations in women of that time and the Car parts are contrasting with the way society looks at women, even today. I started noting similarities in what i felt Hoch was trying to say was the modern women in the 20's and what is a modern woman today. trying to keep similar colours and tone, i chose a modern day hair style as well as a measuring tape and lipstick to suggest modern day female beauty standards, i chose the black and white woman at the top for minimalism but put the iconic 2015 brows over the top, i kept the BMW badge but c hanged it to the 2015 one as i felt their is still an association with

View point Task 1.

Conduct market research into the range of publications available for the target age group . Free and for sale. Contemporary and historical sources - visual and non - visual.  I wanted to start my research with a range of publications. At this point i am unsure where i am going / what i want to do so i thought i would just start with exploring a wide range of publications as the brief says to try and find my interest. I started with a well known magazine that 18 - 30 year olds would look at, i thought about interests and started with fashion.  Vogue  I liked this cover above because it is very minimal, and i think that is more stylish and clean looking. I like the black and white look and the muted tones in it, like the title 'Vogue' i think works really well with the black and white. The magazine usually has more type in it.... I thought this was a good example of what an issue of vogue usually looks like, it is still quite minimal and looks ver