Skip to main content

PrintMaking.

My final idea for my printmaking unit I decided to focus on photo transfer and Mono print. I wanted to focus on the view I have on my father. Growing up, I saw my dad in as a strong, giant, smart man but distant with me.

As I have grown up and away from him I have gotten to know him more as a person and not as my father. I am watching him age, get weaker and smaller... I see the lines on his face from years of laughter, worry and hard work. Knowing I am the cause of some of those lines that map his life on his face. I have a better understand of him now as an adult, and around the age he was when he had me. I have a better understanding of how he wanted to raise me and the freedom, I saw as distance, he gave me to let me enjoy being young.

I wanted to try and document how I see my dad then and now. The role I had in his life as well as the role he had in mine.

I liked the idea of creating memories and feelings towards my dad, when i stopped just thinking of him as there for me, but as a person who made decisions and struggled with the same things I am struggling with now.

I thought about how I was going to do this, how could I create what I was trying to say... how do you create a feeling and a thought through imagery.... how can I create something so in depth, something not even real, something translucent, with so many points, and layers....I would use layers. I would use tracing paper. After experimenting I came up with three images on tracing paper, that I had collaged prints and photo transfers onto.





The images I used all had meaning to them. The figures of my dad were taken on his first Holliday away from me and my sister. It was something I remeber being confused about why he wanted to be away from us so much. I used images of him walking away and on his own with empty space to try and capture that. I then used an image of myself when I was a child a photo taken of me away from my parents.

I took a mono print of the image and collaged it next images of my dad. I tried to work in both positive and negative space to represent the positives and negatives I have/ had about it. I distorted my dads face in some to give the impression of absence or an incomplete memory. I wanted to have both images of him walking away and standing forwards to try and capture the feeling of looking back and looking forwards.

I then layered them onto of each other and wanted to shine a light through them to again try and get the feeling of unfocused, blurry and a distance about it.

I wanted to suspend these but I felt it would get in the way of everyone else in the studio and decided if I used these in a gallery type setting I would suspend them with a light shining through the back.

I took photos of the prints first in the studio with just one light source and had some friends hold them for me.



I then thought about how I would arrange the layers, I like the fact they would be suspended and you would be able to see the different images that make up the front image. But I decided I liked them in this order.



I also took an image of it with over head lights and a lamp shining through the back to see if it would work that way also if need be.

I am happy with the final image but i think if i did this unit again i would have tried different types of printing on the tracing paper, like lino cut.

I like that i did something a bit different for my final image. I really enjoyed creating something with layers and put more thought into how it would look in a gallery setting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art & Design project HNC

Art & Design project HNC This year for project i wanted to work with moving image again but try and really push myself. i dont want to ignore the fact that i have done research before, i want this to seem like i am pushing forwards from what i have done before. Here are blog posts i have done in the past that i am going to use as a foundation to build upon. https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/01/for-my-new-unit-i-have-decided-to-look.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/03/specialist-techniques-film-part-1_15.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/specialist-techniques-looking-at-more.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/green-screen.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2018/06/art-project-evaluation.html Tony Oursler  is an American multimedia and installation artist. I looked at his work last year. I really liked his work, I love the first two and the use of 3D mapping for the p...

Starting experimenting with photography

After looking into the work of Henry Weston i decided to try and experiment,first, with negative space. It was something that stood out to me a lot in some of his work, as i spoke about in my report. i started by just taking a few pictures as i noticed it around me. I think these are a very interesting start and have a lot of potential, i decided to play around with the editing a bit by cropping them, changing the contrast and making them black and white.  i like this image and i think composition wise it works. i also think it looks good in black and white as it has gotten rid of the chance of clashing colours and sets a different kind of mood. The subject is in focus and it looks quite sharp. I cropped it a little and changed the contrast and exposure.  i prefer this image to the top one as i like the spacing between the feet compared to the first one i think it is more visually pleasing, i also rotated this image just as an experiment. ...

Experimenting with photography - identity

I started off this series of experiments by thinking about myself, how i see myself and how i choose to be seen, how do i identify myself? I started thinking this when i was doing my report on Art Wolfe, looking at his human canvas photographs i wanted to do something with body painting, and i am working on that. But i wanted to try out digital editing first, i enjoy this kind of art and wanted to experiment with it. I started by taking a picture of myself, nothing fancy just me in front of a white background. I have always thought about myself as someone who struggles with identity, in some ways i feel like i stand out but in other ways i feel like i can blend into a background or a crowd when i want too. i kept this thought going by blurring out my face in the photograph. I then decided to change the face and background white to match each other, i liked the way this image looked and felt like it expressed my feelings of no identity. but not strong enough about hiding...