Skip to main content

View Point : digital experiments (PART 1)

I wanted to start by looking at hand made covers or images, these are in my sketch book. i started with this image that i then photo copied and did a repeat pattern then painted on top of it.


I then took the image and used an over lay of a paint texture over it to try and express the same idea i had with the physical paint.


I liked the contrast of physical and digital, but i wanted to clean it up a little in the cross separation. 

As an experiment i like it, maybe not the actual imagery but the idea of using both to make imagery. I then decided to make a simple collage and photograph it then work on it digitally... I wanted to keep my theme of abuse in mind so i cut the photograph to resemble something broken, separated or fractured.


This was the image i started with, very simple. I played around with this image a few times. I wanted to look at colour, message and type. 





This first images i wanted to look more feminine feel to it, i liked the circular shapes and i thought the image was interesting, but i wanted it to have a darker feel... 

I decided i would go with a darker feel, i tried to think about abuse and the way it makes leaves your mental state... Lost, confused, broken and distorted. I liked this image and decided to take it further and play with it more...  With the type, i wanted to remember what i looked at in my typography unit...



I really liked the eye in the right hand corner, i wanted to go back to the idea of a repeat patten, mainly because i was having fun playing around with digital collage and i really enjoy using typography in this way...



I then went back to my sketch book to play around with more physical collage, i also want to print some of these images and use them. Will update my blog as i do more with these ideas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art & Design project HNC

Art & Design project HNC This year for project i wanted to work with moving image again but try and really push myself. i dont want to ignore the fact that i have done research before, i want this to seem like i am pushing forwards from what i have done before. Here are blog posts i have done in the past that i am going to use as a foundation to build upon. https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/01/for-my-new-unit-i-have-decided-to-look.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/03/specialist-techniques-film-part-1_15.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/specialist-techniques-looking-at-more.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/green-screen.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2018/06/art-project-evaluation.html Tony Oursler  is an American multimedia and installation artist. I looked at his work last year. I really liked his work, I love the first two and the use of 3D mapping for the p...

Starting experimenting with photography

After looking into the work of Henry Weston i decided to try and experiment,first, with negative space. It was something that stood out to me a lot in some of his work, as i spoke about in my report. i started by just taking a few pictures as i noticed it around me. I think these are a very interesting start and have a lot of potential, i decided to play around with the editing a bit by cropping them, changing the contrast and making them black and white.  i like this image and i think composition wise it works. i also think it looks good in black and white as it has gotten rid of the chance of clashing colours and sets a different kind of mood. The subject is in focus and it looks quite sharp. I cropped it a little and changed the contrast and exposure.  i prefer this image to the top one as i like the spacing between the feet compared to the first one i think it is more visually pleasing, i also rotated this image just as an experiment. ...

Experimenting with photography - identity

I started off this series of experiments by thinking about myself, how i see myself and how i choose to be seen, how do i identify myself? I started thinking this when i was doing my report on Art Wolfe, looking at his human canvas photographs i wanted to do something with body painting, and i am working on that. But i wanted to try out digital editing first, i enjoy this kind of art and wanted to experiment with it. I started by taking a picture of myself, nothing fancy just me in front of a white background. I have always thought about myself as someone who struggles with identity, in some ways i feel like i stand out but in other ways i feel like i can blend into a background or a crowd when i want too. i kept this thought going by blurring out my face in the photograph. I then decided to change the face and background white to match each other, i liked the way this image looked and felt like it expressed my feelings of no identity. but not strong enough about hiding...