Skip to main content

Painting unit experiments.

For my painting unit i have been looking at the subconscious mind, what is behind the scenes of the subconscious mind?

 While i have been working on this unit, i have been documenting my dreams in a small book, and while i have been creating images from my dreams using colour, shape and mood i have had a running theme on all my dreams, its something i have had since i was very young. Nightmares.

I am obsessed with horror, fear and the psychology behind what is perceived as scary. Because of this fascination i read, watch and listen to everything horror related, almost everyday. So much so, in fact that i am completely desensitised to it, i have nightmares but they are not really scary in fact they are in some ways very beautiful... to me. In my "nightmares" what i am doing, or what is happening is scary but i do not feel the fear... in fact i do not really understand why it is scary until i wake up and analyse it.1

In some ways what i am doing is scary but the end result is not, for example...

In one dream i was seeing a woman peeling her skin off, this should have been scary but in the dream i was fascinated.... under her skin was beautiful colours and streams of gold lines.

As a person i think i see the beauty in most things, i choose to be a positive person, i am fascinated with the world, especially the dark side of human nature and what other people feel and think and a happy person and although a lot of people don't like that, its who i am.

With this in mind i thought this dream was quite fitting to who i am, and how i see the world and how my mind processes things.

I want to capture the beauty i see in my mind... but how?

I have been experimenting with painting my feelings and thought and how i can capture them, in ways i find it easier to express these things in others more than myself but i like the raw truth to this, it is literally how i see the world and how i feel! The colours are my feelings and the lines of gold are my thoughts.

( i have all this in a dream journal attached to my sketch book )

So i started experimenting with this idea, firstly on paper i painted ideas of these colours and golden lines:




I choose water colour for two reasons, the first being the fluidity of it, the way it feels almost dream like and secondly because using a wet on wet technique i felt captures the way the colours under the skin looked in the dream.

I decided to then try it on skin before i created a full image, just a few experiments and planning out ...




unfortunately this did not work how i imagined it, i was quite sad about the paint not working wet on wet on the skin so i thought i would re think what to do, i went back to my little dream book and found a running theme, water and space so i decided to try out a theme of space or blackness...

these are some of the paintings i created before:







and then decided to try it on skin, i used a class mate and tried it out:











Although i like these i don't think they express what i wanted, the beauty i find in my dream, the horror and the beauty, so, again i went back to my book. I didn't find anything i really wanted to take further and started to feel a bit lost...

BUT THEN

I had a dream i would really like to take forward, i dream i was walking up to a woman lying on the ground, she was covered in cuts and gashes and as i looked closely at her ( again not scared more curious) i saw a little colour, i pulled back her skin a little and under it was flowers, the more i pulled the more flowers came out! I decided to experiment!

I felt this was perfect because to me the world is beautifully horrific. And my mind sees this in my dreams, the beauty i see in the horrible things...




FUCK !!


Again.... this did not work, it wasn't what i wanted.But I wanted to stick with the idea. 

I am starting to realise the importance of experiments and the role they play in my work. The process and that it is OK that not everything I create works/ is good. It's about the process... 

I went back right to when I started creating special effects I decided to try again with cotton wool... this again, I am realising he importance of documenting my work for later reference... it's funny how I have learned so Much Yet I find myself looking back to when I started.

I first tried out ideas on my arm ...









YES!

I felt like i was starting to get somewhere! 

Cotton wool resembles the way skin rips much more than toilet roll, as it is much easier to manipulate, so i decided to try and incorporate that.






YES
I really liked these and i wanted to try and take it further maybe produce 3 images with different body parts so i tried the shoulder this was a much easier because it is much tighter skin i wanted the flowers to be bigger and a bit more extreme than the ones above...




I tried to keep the lighting soft because i wanted to have the face unseen, but partial... i liked the idea of stripping away the identity of the person in the image.

I wanted to do another on the arms, at first i liked the idea of having a flower in the hand...




I felt this was to much red so i tried it without the flowers...



I didn't want it to the the whole hand,  i wanted it to be partial like a dream...











These 4 images i decided to experiment further with:







I then wanted to bring back the physicality of the paint so i then did over painting on  photos, small ones to experiment...






I really liked the idea of taking away identity




I decided to keep experimenting in my sketch book, making the paint look more fluid. I then got the images printed off large scale, not as large as i wanted but A3 so i am going to be taking them forward.

I have learned a lot doing these and doing this unit, i think that i took ownership of this work, its something i struggled with before when making work. I feel like i really found myself in this unit and actually did something i loved. It got stressful but i kept going, i really enjoyed and fully appreciated the process... i am nervous and excited to see the finished results. I think if i had longer i would have kept going and kept producing images.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...

When i was a kid, i got asked to produce a drawing that expressed Autumn, the winner got the work in a calendar for the school. I worked and i worked on this drawing, expressing my feelings of Autumn. I won. I told my Mum and Dad that they could buy the calendar with my work in it, i was so proud. I showed my parents my work, and although they were happy for me told me they that although it was good, my sister's new drawing of a bird was better... more realistic. Through out all of my childhood and teenage years, i was told i was not as good as my sister and to this day i still do. I would constantly compare my work to hers, and eventually i gave up art completely. I had a pang of jealousy when i would see other peoples art work, and suppress the jealous feeling towards my sister and the anger i felt towards my parents. I felt even more guilt and as i grew i built up this wall around myself, i put on a mask of a confident girl, who did not feel jealousy, sadness or frustrat

Dada Collage part 2

I released i was trying to copy Hannah Hoch's    Das Schone Madchen/ beautiful girl collage instead of understanding it so i decided to research the artists and this peace of work i found out this is a photomontage made in the 1920's that deals with gender issues amidst the dawning of Germany’s New Woman. the hair and womans body is looking at beauty trends and expectations in women of that time and the Car parts are contrasting with the way society looks at women, even today. I started noting similarities in what i felt Hoch was trying to say was the modern women in the 20's and what is a modern woman today. trying to keep similar colours and tone, i chose a modern day hair style as well as a measuring tape and lipstick to suggest modern day female beauty standards, i chose the black and white woman at the top for minimalism but put the iconic 2015 brows over the top, i kept the BMW badge but c hanged it to the 2015 one as i felt their is still an association with

View point Task 1.

Conduct market research into the range of publications available for the target age group . Free and for sale. Contemporary and historical sources - visual and non - visual.  I wanted to start my research with a range of publications. At this point i am unsure where i am going / what i want to do so i thought i would just start with exploring a wide range of publications as the brief says to try and find my interest. I started with a well known magazine that 18 - 30 year olds would look at, i thought about interests and started with fashion.  Vogue  I liked this cover above because it is very minimal, and i think that is more stylish and clean looking. I like the black and white look and the muted tones in it, like the title 'Vogue' i think works really well with the black and white. The magazine usually has more type in it.... I thought this was a good example of what an issue of vogue usually looks like, it is still quite minimal and looks ver