Skip to main content

Honore Daumier

Honoré-Victorin Daumier was a French printmaker, caricaturist, painter, and sculptor, whose many works offer commentary on social and political life in France in the 19th century.

I found out that  Daumier joined a newspaper  called Le Caricature.  It would show two or three lithographs usually in the form of political caricatures. I really liked this one:



I found out The name 'Gargantua' comes from a 16th century series of novels, which tells of the adventures of two giants, 'Gargantua' and his son 'Pantagruel'. 

I found out the man in this is King Louis-Philippe, obviously he is sitting on a chair, which is actually a giant commode, It is very unflattering and he is obviously made him look very unappealing on purpose, the board leading to his mouth shows people ( assuming tax payers) carrying bags of money and paring them down his throat, to show greed and the way he wastes his subjects hard earned money. 

In the bottom right of the print i can see a man dressed in rags and a woman holding her baby. The way they are depicted, obviously very poor and they are there to show that the poor people are giving the rich there money to consume and waste! I also noticed that next to the chair are men grabbing falling coins from the kings mouth, and under the chair i can see sheets of paper. I am not sure what this means? maybe the few people who have a better status than the poor getting papers for land or more privileged things? i noticed that they are also wearing nicer clothing .

I think this is very interesting! and i have seen something like this before in news papers, modern ones i mean. It really interests me! they are very clever and although quite funny address serious issues at the time! 

I like that it was in a news paper, that way the 'everyday man' can view it! its telling a story almost or addressing an issue, with one image! It makes me think about how we do this now and how effective it is! 
now we dont really read papers, or maybe in my generation and future generations, they dont hold as much of an importance as they once did! now artsits find a way to bring it to our attention with the internet or like the work of banksy, on the streets we walk!He makes comments of social media but also political issues.


Or even the work of less known Luis Quiles






They all address issues in a single image, it makes me think what kind of a reaction these got at the time and what comments he got about them. The next image i found interesting was this one:

Rue Transnonain le 15 avril 1834.

This, i think, highlights the struggle to survive at the time, again you can see his interest in politics. I find this really dark and very sad. I found out that the house at ' Rue Transnonain' was close to a barricade set up because of an uprising. At the end of it 19 people, including children were killed. 

This scene is horrible! it is clearly the aftermath of the event and it is so still and cold. The man in the middle, still in his nightwear, is lying on what i think is the body of a child. I can also see an old man and a woman on the sides of the lithograph... which makes it worse! its almost like he is saying no one escaped and no one was spared because of age or gender. Quite shocking to look at. 

The dark tones and the way he has cast the light is almost beautiful and adds to the stillness of the scene. I really enjoyed looking at his work! I found it clever, sometimes funny and sometimes brutal, but always stunning, and shows off how much skill this man had! 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art & Design project HNC

Art & Design project HNC This year for project i wanted to work with moving image again but try and really push myself. i dont want to ignore the fact that i have done research before, i want this to seem like i am pushing forwards from what i have done before. Here are blog posts i have done in the past that i am going to use as a foundation to build upon. https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/01/for-my-new-unit-i-have-decided-to-look.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/03/specialist-techniques-film-part-1_15.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/specialist-techniques-looking-at-more.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/green-screen.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2018/06/art-project-evaluation.html Tony Oursler  is an American multimedia and installation artist. I looked at his work last year. I really liked his work, I love the first two and the use of 3D mapping for the p...

Starting experimenting with photography

After looking into the work of Henry Weston i decided to try and experiment,first, with negative space. It was something that stood out to me a lot in some of his work, as i spoke about in my report. i started by just taking a few pictures as i noticed it around me. I think these are a very interesting start and have a lot of potential, i decided to play around with the editing a bit by cropping them, changing the contrast and making them black and white.  i like this image and i think composition wise it works. i also think it looks good in black and white as it has gotten rid of the chance of clashing colours and sets a different kind of mood. The subject is in focus and it looks quite sharp. I cropped it a little and changed the contrast and exposure.  i prefer this image to the top one as i like the spacing between the feet compared to the first one i think it is more visually pleasing, i also rotated this image just as an experiment. ...

Art & Design Portfolio - Sam Cornwell (Digital)

I decided to start my research on paper based and digital portfolios by first looking at a digital portfolio. One artist who came into the college to do a talk was a photographer called Sam Cornwell, he took us through his digital portfolio. I wanted to think about why his portfolio was digital and not paper based. One of the biggest advantages of a digital portfolio is the accessibility of it. It is easy to send out to employers or people wishing to view it. It is digital so it can easily be send to someone via email or put on a USB and accessed that way. Another reason is unlike a paper based portfolio there is more than one, it is easy to dispatch without spending money on paper to print. It is also instant, you might have to wait a few days for a paper port folio to be sent by mail or spend money on travel to bring it to the person wishing to view it. With a digital portfolio one click and it is sent! I went onto Sam Cornwell's page and found out his portfolio is on his web...