Skip to main content

Grunge Typography

I have been really struggling with my typography unit, i have been trying to find an area i am interested in. My sketch book so far i am not happy with as it is a big all over the place trying to find my interest... 

For out print making unit we had to do a self portrait made of words, as in, using words as line...





So this got me thinking, how can i use typography in a more artistic way? in a way i will enjoy and find interesting! 


I really liked this idea and started researching different kinds of typography.

I came across a magazine called Ray Gun and a Graphic designer called David Carson, his message was this : you don’t have to know the rules before breaking them, and never mistake legibility for communication. 

Once i started looking into this kind of typography, i found an instant connection, i think firstly because this typography style was about spontaneity, rather than purpose and precision, it was the idea to instantly express! I love that!

I think i also have a big connection with this because of my age, as an early 90's child, music, games and films were a big part of my up bringing, it was all about CD / games covers,posters and magazines! And almost all of the bands i liked and the posters covering my walls were this style of typography.

example:








so i decided to play around a bit with this idea, keeping in mind some of the designs from Ray Gun magazine. 

I started by using a body painting i did of my face and mirroring it, then adding some type, using unusual spacing, and trying to think about the appearance of it.


I then created over lays of type, with some of my paintings



and then i combined them together, to create something i bit hectic and different...


I like the combination of painting and type, but i felt it was a bit too messy, i wanted to think a bit more outside the box, but keeping it more visually appealing.... i wanted to think about direction as well as over all appearance, and create something out of type.


I didn't really know what to write, so i just took pieces of my CV. I over laid some of it, because i was trying to think about the image as a whole and not the content, also why i put it at a different angle i wanted to think about using direction as a way to take your eyes around something, composition... like a classic painting.  I wanted it to feel quite light and clean, more david carson... but with some of the grunge style in it also.

It is something i am enjoying, and am taking further in my typography unit.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Art & Design project HNC

Art & Design project HNC This year for project i wanted to work with moving image again but try and really push myself. i dont want to ignore the fact that i have done research before, i want this to seem like i am pushing forwards from what i have done before. Here are blog posts i have done in the past that i am going to use as a foundation to build upon. https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/01/for-my-new-unit-i-have-decided-to-look.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/03/specialist-techniques-film-part-1_15.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/specialist-techniques-looking-at-more.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/green-screen.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2018/06/art-project-evaluation.html Tony Oursler  is an American multimedia and installation artist. I looked at his work last year. I really liked his work, I love the first two and the use of 3D mapping for the p...

Starting experimenting with photography

After looking into the work of Henry Weston i decided to try and experiment,first, with negative space. It was something that stood out to me a lot in some of his work, as i spoke about in my report. i started by just taking a few pictures as i noticed it around me. I think these are a very interesting start and have a lot of potential, i decided to play around with the editing a bit by cropping them, changing the contrast and making them black and white.  i like this image and i think composition wise it works. i also think it looks good in black and white as it has gotten rid of the chance of clashing colours and sets a different kind of mood. The subject is in focus and it looks quite sharp. I cropped it a little and changed the contrast and exposure.  i prefer this image to the top one as i like the spacing between the feet compared to the first one i think it is more visually pleasing, i also rotated this image just as an experiment. ...

Experimenting with photography - identity

I started off this series of experiments by thinking about myself, how i see myself and how i choose to be seen, how do i identify myself? I started thinking this when i was doing my report on Art Wolfe, looking at his human canvas photographs i wanted to do something with body painting, and i am working on that. But i wanted to try out digital editing first, i enjoy this kind of art and wanted to experiment with it. I started by taking a picture of myself, nothing fancy just me in front of a white background. I have always thought about myself as someone who struggles with identity, in some ways i feel like i stand out but in other ways i feel like i can blend into a background or a crowd when i want too. i kept this thought going by blurring out my face in the photograph. I then decided to change the face and background white to match each other, i liked the way this image looked and felt like it expressed my feelings of no identity. but not strong enough about hiding...