Skip to main content

Experimenting with photography - identity

I started off this series of experiments by thinking about myself, how i see myself and how i choose to be seen, how do i identify myself?

I started thinking this when i was doing my report on Art Wolfe, looking at his human canvas photographs i wanted to do something with body painting, and i am working on that. But i wanted to try out digital editing first, i enjoy this kind of art and wanted to experiment with it.

I started by taking a picture of myself, nothing fancy just me in front of a white background.


I have always thought about myself as someone who struggles with identity, in some ways i feel like i stand out but in other ways i feel like i can blend into a background or a crowd when i want too. i kept this thought going by blurring out my face in the photograph.

I then decided to change the face and background white to match each other, i liked the way this image looked and felt like it expressed my feelings of no identity. but not strong enough about hiding into the background. 


I decided to try and change the face and background to a wall print to try and get my message across


I liked it but decided to try out some different backgrounds. 



I was not as keen on these as i was with my other ones, so i decided to start again taking the same idea but adding my hands in to see if i could give it a different feel.



I then did the same as i did with the first image, but i felt the hands in the way helped get the message across and i felt a good connection with them, i felt like they really expressed how i feel about myself.

i really liked these two but i felt the grey top was in the way, i decided to fill them in black and see if that would look better




This is my favorite image, i think it expresses that i feel i can blend into a background if i want, but also stand out when i want. i liked the eye being open and i kept it while editing because i liked one the contrast in the blank face with the open eye and also it is quite symbolic, in the way i find it hard to talk about myself or how i view myself and sometimes my opinion, but that i am quite visual with how others present themselves, that i am very aware of it in others but not myself.

I find it quite hard to analyse myself and think about what makes me me, but i think this is a good start, i really enjoyed editing them, and found it a lot of fun having an idea behind it, and it being mine. I felt a lot more relaxed about how it should look, i guess because it was about me and my image and ideas.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Art & Design project HNC

Art & Design project HNC This year for project i wanted to work with moving image again but try and really push myself. i dont want to ignore the fact that i have done research before, i want this to seem like i am pushing forwards from what i have done before. Here are blog posts i have done in the past that i am going to use as a foundation to build upon. https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/01/for-my-new-unit-i-have-decided-to-look.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/03/specialist-techniques-film-part-1_15.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/specialist-techniques-looking-at-more.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/green-screen.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2018/06/art-project-evaluation.html Tony Oursler  is an American multimedia and installation artist. I looked at his work last year. I really liked his work, I love the first two and the use of 3D mapping for the p...

Starting experimenting with photography

After looking into the work of Henry Weston i decided to try and experiment,first, with negative space. It was something that stood out to me a lot in some of his work, as i spoke about in my report. i started by just taking a few pictures as i noticed it around me. I think these are a very interesting start and have a lot of potential, i decided to play around with the editing a bit by cropping them, changing the contrast and making them black and white.  i like this image and i think composition wise it works. i also think it looks good in black and white as it has gotten rid of the chance of clashing colours and sets a different kind of mood. The subject is in focus and it looks quite sharp. I cropped it a little and changed the contrast and exposure.  i prefer this image to the top one as i like the spacing between the feet compared to the first one i think it is more visually pleasing, i also rotated this image just as an experiment. ...