Skip to main content

Illustration / Digital Media - Victo Ngai

Illustration. Digital Art. 

Victo Ngai is a digital illustrator who make illustrations for news papers and magazines, she has made work for the New Yorker and the New York Times. She also creates story board for animations from company's like dream works.











I really love her work, it is so creative and has such imagination in it. I love the fantasy of it as well as the technique. I read that she draws her work out with pen/ink and then after it is approved she takes it onto Photoshop where it is colored digitally. 

She wrote about how she works which i find very interesting...

"I start with learning what my clients want me to communicate: what is the most important thing that I need to showcase in this piece? From then on I brainstorm and see what kind of visuals will be relevant and will be the best symbolism or metaphor to communicate this idea and tell this story."

 I really liked this technique because i really enjoy working digitally. I wanted to try this out with the theme of my illustration unit, the book 1984. 

I started with the part in the book where Winston is dreaming about his mother and him sinking on a boat. I wanted to over exaggerate the waves and make it feel very dream like. I also added the pages from his dairy flying away. 



In the same part of the book the dream them switches to Julia running towards him naked. 



I kept going like this taking bits of the book i liked the visuals i got when reading. 







So far this is my favorite way of working and I will continue exploring it. I really enjoy the process of drawing and then moving onto digital work. I always have a bit of a problem with working only digitally because i feel like it takes away from a sort of physical connection with the work, but this way i find more a connection and then i can keep my interest in it for a long time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art & Design project HNC

Art & Design project HNC This year for project i wanted to work with moving image again but try and really push myself. i dont want to ignore the fact that i have done research before, i want this to seem like i am pushing forwards from what i have done before. Here are blog posts i have done in the past that i am going to use as a foundation to build upon. https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/01/for-my-new-unit-i-have-decided-to-look.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/03/specialist-techniques-film-part-1_15.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/specialist-techniques-looking-at-more.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/green-screen.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2018/06/art-project-evaluation.html Tony Oursler  is an American multimedia and installation artist. I looked at his work last year. I really liked his work, I love the first two and the use of 3D mapping for the p...

Starting experimenting with photography

After looking into the work of Henry Weston i decided to try and experiment,first, with negative space. It was something that stood out to me a lot in some of his work, as i spoke about in my report. i started by just taking a few pictures as i noticed it around me. I think these are a very interesting start and have a lot of potential, i decided to play around with the editing a bit by cropping them, changing the contrast and making them black and white.  i like this image and i think composition wise it works. i also think it looks good in black and white as it has gotten rid of the chance of clashing colours and sets a different kind of mood. The subject is in focus and it looks quite sharp. I cropped it a little and changed the contrast and exposure.  i prefer this image to the top one as i like the spacing between the feet compared to the first one i think it is more visually pleasing, i also rotated this image just as an experiment. ...

Art & Design Portfolio - Sam Cornwell (Digital)

I decided to start my research on paper based and digital portfolios by first looking at a digital portfolio. One artist who came into the college to do a talk was a photographer called Sam Cornwell, he took us through his digital portfolio. I wanted to think about why his portfolio was digital and not paper based. One of the biggest advantages of a digital portfolio is the accessibility of it. It is easy to send out to employers or people wishing to view it. It is digital so it can easily be send to someone via email or put on a USB and accessed that way. Another reason is unlike a paper based portfolio there is more than one, it is easy to dispatch without spending money on paper to print. It is also instant, you might have to wait a few days for a paper port folio to be sent by mail or spend money on travel to bring it to the person wishing to view it. With a digital portfolio one click and it is sent! I went onto Sam Cornwell's page and found out his portfolio is on his web...