Skip to main content

morandi still life etching report

I have been asked to look at Morandi still life etchings, and to me these capture the beauty of simple items in  a different way, as an etching. 

Giorgio Morandi - Still Life with Drapery to the Left - 1927 - Etching

This Etching is stunning, i love the different tones, and use of cross hatching. The cloth on the table is amazing! and he lighting on the bottles look perfect. To me they look so fragile, like you could blow it away its so light and clean, then i found this one...

Giorgio Morandi- Still Life with Seven Objects in a Tondo,- 1945 - etching

This blew me away, its almost like a dream or a memory, some of the objects are the same tone as the back ground and the same cross hatching but they pop out so much by almost blending in! It is beautiful. It so simple but complex at the same time. Especially when compared to this one:

Still Life with Jugs, 1956, etching
This one is very realistic with the highlights and reflections, its very bold compared to the other one. He definitely seems to have a style of line. 

I have been looking into the art of still life, the process and the different meanings and to me I see at as a way to stop and look at the beauty of arranged objects, although sometimes it can be symbolic I think in this cases it is about being still, do I stop and appreciate the beauty of things ? No, granted I do more since I have started this course and altered my perception of the world. But do I buy things because they are beautiful and then never really look at them again? all the time!

These make me really look at the stillness and appreciate the beauty in the objects he has put together. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art & Design project HNC

Art & Design project HNC This year for project i wanted to work with moving image again but try and really push myself. i dont want to ignore the fact that i have done research before, i want this to seem like i am pushing forwards from what i have done before. Here are blog posts i have done in the past that i am going to use as a foundation to build upon. https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/01/for-my-new-unit-i-have-decided-to-look.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/03/specialist-techniques-film-part-1_15.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/specialist-techniques-looking-at-more.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/green-screen.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2018/06/art-project-evaluation.html Tony Oursler  is an American multimedia and installation artist. I looked at his work last year. I really liked his work, I love the first two and the use of 3D mapping for the p...

Starting experimenting with photography

After looking into the work of Henry Weston i decided to try and experiment,first, with negative space. It was something that stood out to me a lot in some of his work, as i spoke about in my report. i started by just taking a few pictures as i noticed it around me. I think these are a very interesting start and have a lot of potential, i decided to play around with the editing a bit by cropping them, changing the contrast and making them black and white.  i like this image and i think composition wise it works. i also think it looks good in black and white as it has gotten rid of the chance of clashing colours and sets a different kind of mood. The subject is in focus and it looks quite sharp. I cropped it a little and changed the contrast and exposure.  i prefer this image to the top one as i like the spacing between the feet compared to the first one i think it is more visually pleasing, i also rotated this image just as an experiment. ...

Art & Design Portfolio - Sam Cornwell (Digital)

I decided to start my research on paper based and digital portfolios by first looking at a digital portfolio. One artist who came into the college to do a talk was a photographer called Sam Cornwell, he took us through his digital portfolio. I wanted to think about why his portfolio was digital and not paper based. One of the biggest advantages of a digital portfolio is the accessibility of it. It is easy to send out to employers or people wishing to view it. It is digital so it can easily be send to someone via email or put on a USB and accessed that way. Another reason is unlike a paper based portfolio there is more than one, it is easy to dispatch without spending money on paper to print. It is also instant, you might have to wait a few days for a paper port folio to be sent by mail or spend money on travel to bring it to the person wishing to view it. With a digital portfolio one click and it is sent! I went onto Sam Cornwell's page and found out his portfolio is on his web...