Skip to main content

Cyanotype

When my sister came into the college she said something that really stuck in my mind, " You don't need a camera to take a photograph". I really liked this idea and was looking into making my own camera when i came across something called Cyanotype, Cyanotype is a really old photographic printing process that produces prints using the sun, in a greenish-blue. I was so excited to try this i ordered Cyanotype paper to try this out as part of my photography unit.


I think i want to do a series of images with these, the kit comes with 15 sheets of paper so i am going to use a few to try out and experiment with and then see where it takes me.

I started by looking at artists that use Cyanotype and came across Anna Atkins who was an English botanist and photographer. She used cyanotype photography to record botanical specimens for a scientific book "British Algae: Cyanotype Impressions" 




I really like how this looks, and decided to start with flowers and plants for my own experiments.


This one did not turn out very well but I got the hang of it as I continued, I tried using man made objects and things i use everyday to see how they turned out.

I used. Knife, a paint brush, some coins,hair clips, tea bag, loose tobacco (I really end liked how that turned out, hair bobbles, a mushroom, a tomato, a cracker, rice, a eye brow brush and pepper. I went back to the flower print and left it in the sun for only 5 minutes ...


This one turned out well, i really like this kind of photography and i wanted to keep going a little bit more so i thought about if i could make a scene? I cut out a turtle on a bit of paper and added tea leaves across the top of it, then used my hair to create this...


I really like this and the effect of the hair and the tea leaves i think work well, the turtle could be more obvious but i think for a first attempt it is ok. i tried again this time adding water drops i really like this one it is much cleaner.

 I will think about what i want to do and turn this into another little series for my photography unit, i just need to think about the theme my world, my view.... very excited to expand on this! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art & Design project HNC

Art & Design project HNC This year for project i wanted to work with moving image again but try and really push myself. i dont want to ignore the fact that i have done research before, i want this to seem like i am pushing forwards from what i have done before. Here are blog posts i have done in the past that i am going to use as a foundation to build upon. https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/01/for-my-new-unit-i-have-decided-to-look.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/03/specialist-techniques-film-part-1_15.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/specialist-techniques-looking-at-more.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/green-screen.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2018/06/art-project-evaluation.html Tony Oursler  is an American multimedia and installation artist. I looked at his work last year. I really liked his work, I love the first two and the use of 3D mapping for the p...

Starting experimenting with photography

After looking into the work of Henry Weston i decided to try and experiment,first, with negative space. It was something that stood out to me a lot in some of his work, as i spoke about in my report. i started by just taking a few pictures as i noticed it around me. I think these are a very interesting start and have a lot of potential, i decided to play around with the editing a bit by cropping them, changing the contrast and making them black and white.  i like this image and i think composition wise it works. i also think it looks good in black and white as it has gotten rid of the chance of clashing colours and sets a different kind of mood. The subject is in focus and it looks quite sharp. I cropped it a little and changed the contrast and exposure.  i prefer this image to the top one as i like the spacing between the feet compared to the first one i think it is more visually pleasing, i also rotated this image just as an experiment. ...

Art & Design Portfolio - Sam Cornwell (Digital)

I decided to start my research on paper based and digital portfolios by first looking at a digital portfolio. One artist who came into the college to do a talk was a photographer called Sam Cornwell, he took us through his digital portfolio. I wanted to think about why his portfolio was digital and not paper based. One of the biggest advantages of a digital portfolio is the accessibility of it. It is easy to send out to employers or people wishing to view it. It is digital so it can easily be send to someone via email or put on a USB and accessed that way. Another reason is unlike a paper based portfolio there is more than one, it is easy to dispatch without spending money on paper to print. It is also instant, you might have to wait a few days for a paper port folio to be sent by mail or spend money on travel to bring it to the person wishing to view it. With a digital portfolio one click and it is sent! I went onto Sam Cornwell's page and found out his portfolio is on his web...