Skip to main content

Printmaking Evaluation HNC

This year for printmaking i wanted to step away from my usual mono print and try something else. I decided to work with Lino.

I wanted to take my life drawings and tie it in with printmaking. Sometimes i feel like i want to take some study's further in life drawing and thought this would be a good way to do it. I started by taking one of my life drawings and trying to use simple line to create a print.





I cut my lino into three pieces and printed each one separately. I then experimented with different coloured papers as well as later i experimented with patterned paper. 


I also looked a little at Kathy kollwitz and tried to use thicker cross hatching and dark and light contract to create some prints using a study we did in life drawing in dim light.




I then tried using a different colour and working smaller 



I liked working on a smaller scale and started experimenting with small scale. I looked a bit at Mestessi's cut outs and i liked the colours and the way he captured form.




 



Over all i was quite happy where this unit took me, i dont feel i came to a solid conclusion, or took the last part of my experiments as far as i would have liked, i didn't produce a 'finial image' as the brief seemed more heavy on experiments. I did prove i can work in registration and in multiple colors.  


I did find myself not as engaged in his unit as i have been, i don't know if that is because i prefer mono print and lino is very new to me or because i let myself be distracted by project. I did find some restraints in this unit. The first being access to the press this is a space issue with other years doing prints and also other students doing different types of printing and it needing to be adjusted. I think speaking up about things is something i need to work on personally when i need something. I also found the cutting process very time consuming and very difficult while gives me more respect for people who work in lino. 


Overall i had fun. I have to remember that art is supposed to be fun, i sometimes spend so long thinking of deep subject matter that i forgot to let go and enjoy what i am doing and that is what i did with printmaking. If i could i would do more and keep this project going through out the rest of the year! i could just do it in my spare time but it would require me getting much better at using a spoon to print with. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art & Design project HNC

Art & Design project HNC This year for project i wanted to work with moving image again but try and really push myself. i dont want to ignore the fact that i have done research before, i want this to seem like i am pushing forwards from what i have done before. Here are blog posts i have done in the past that i am going to use as a foundation to build upon. https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/01/for-my-new-unit-i-have-decided-to-look.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/03/specialist-techniques-film-part-1_15.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/specialist-techniques-looking-at-more.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/green-screen.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2018/06/art-project-evaluation.html Tony Oursler  is an American multimedia and installation artist. I looked at his work last year. I really liked his work, I love the first two and the use of 3D mapping for the p...

Starting experimenting with photography

After looking into the work of Henry Weston i decided to try and experiment,first, with negative space. It was something that stood out to me a lot in some of his work, as i spoke about in my report. i started by just taking a few pictures as i noticed it around me. I think these are a very interesting start and have a lot of potential, i decided to play around with the editing a bit by cropping them, changing the contrast and making them black and white.  i like this image and i think composition wise it works. i also think it looks good in black and white as it has gotten rid of the chance of clashing colours and sets a different kind of mood. The subject is in focus and it looks quite sharp. I cropped it a little and changed the contrast and exposure.  i prefer this image to the top one as i like the spacing between the feet compared to the first one i think it is more visually pleasing, i also rotated this image just as an experiment. ...

Experimenting with photography - identity

I started off this series of experiments by thinking about myself, how i see myself and how i choose to be seen, how do i identify myself? I started thinking this when i was doing my report on Art Wolfe, looking at his human canvas photographs i wanted to do something with body painting, and i am working on that. But i wanted to try out digital editing first, i enjoy this kind of art and wanted to experiment with it. I started by taking a picture of myself, nothing fancy just me in front of a white background. I have always thought about myself as someone who struggles with identity, in some ways i feel like i stand out but in other ways i feel like i can blend into a background or a crowd when i want too. i kept this thought going by blurring out my face in the photograph. I then decided to change the face and background white to match each other, i liked the way this image looked and felt like it expressed my feelings of no identity. but not strong enough about hiding...