Skip to main content

Contempory art .

 I started looking at an artist called Yayoi Kusama. Kusama is a Japanese contemporary artist who works primarily in sculpture and installation. She is most well know for her sculptors / installations covered in dots.





What first drew me to her work was just the size of it, and how many dots there are. I like how the viewer would see this work, i like that you can walk around it and interact with it. I wanted to try and paint dots myself. I started by grabbing some boxes around the class and painting onto them.




I decided to use the primary colors at first but i found it to look so childish and i just didn't like it. I found painting these so therapeutic, just drifting into the land of dots and not thinking about anything else. I usually listen to music while i paint but i found myself not needing to at all because i was so engrossed in it.

I wanted to start thinking about the theme of the unit. I was drawn to one theme - fragile. I wanted to think about that theme and look more in depth.

I kept going with the dots, i thought about the world fragile and i liked the idea of painting things considered fragile and the relationship of the paint on a fragile surface. I decided i could use egg shells for my first experiment. I then decided to just use white and red i really liked the way it looked on Kusama's work.





I painted two egg shells, a plate and a strip of fabric.

I really liked the way they came out, i liked the broken shell because i could paint the inside which i said before i felt worked well with the way a viewer interacts with the work, looking around / inside it.

I then thought about more objects that i would consider fragile and thought about setting up a still life. ..











I really liked how these came out. When i put it all together i was really pleased. I really liked how the dots reflected in the bottom of the wine glass.

I do think the key to her work, the reason it is so interesting is because of her obsession with dots. I obviously enjoy it but i don't have that obsession.






While researching i found a series painted by Damien Hurst, well his assistants anyway.


 

Spot paintings by Damien Hirst on display at Houghton Hall. Picture: Ian Burt



I actually really liked this, i think his spot paintings work so well in this old setting. So i started paintings dots....






I tried painting on fabric, canvas and paper. I liked the over lapping dots more than the ones i had done before that were spaced apart.

I then started thinking about the eggs again. I really liked them and they worked well with my theme fragile.

So i started thinking about the egg shells and had the idea of carving circles into them rather than painting on them so i tried...






It was so hard to carve into the shells without them breaking but i kept going and ended up painting them white to see how they would look.










I then tried to see how it looked with the spotted back ground...





I liked how these were turning out and i decided to go with it and focus on it in another post. 


.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art & Design project HNC

Art & Design project HNC This year for project i wanted to work with moving image again but try and really push myself. i dont want to ignore the fact that i have done research before, i want this to seem like i am pushing forwards from what i have done before. Here are blog posts i have done in the past that i am going to use as a foundation to build upon. https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/01/for-my-new-unit-i-have-decided-to-look.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/03/specialist-techniques-film-part-1_15.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/specialist-techniques-looking-at-more.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/green-screen.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2018/06/art-project-evaluation.html Tony Oursler  is an American multimedia and installation artist. I looked at his work last year. I really liked his work, I love the first two and the use of 3D mapping for the p...

Starting experimenting with photography

After looking into the work of Henry Weston i decided to try and experiment,first, with negative space. It was something that stood out to me a lot in some of his work, as i spoke about in my report. i started by just taking a few pictures as i noticed it around me. I think these are a very interesting start and have a lot of potential, i decided to play around with the editing a bit by cropping them, changing the contrast and making them black and white.  i like this image and i think composition wise it works. i also think it looks good in black and white as it has gotten rid of the chance of clashing colours and sets a different kind of mood. The subject is in focus and it looks quite sharp. I cropped it a little and changed the contrast and exposure.  i prefer this image to the top one as i like the spacing between the feet compared to the first one i think it is more visually pleasing, i also rotated this image just as an experiment. ...

Experimenting with photography - identity

I started off this series of experiments by thinking about myself, how i see myself and how i choose to be seen, how do i identify myself? I started thinking this when i was doing my report on Art Wolfe, looking at his human canvas photographs i wanted to do something with body painting, and i am working on that. But i wanted to try out digital editing first, i enjoy this kind of art and wanted to experiment with it. I started by taking a picture of myself, nothing fancy just me in front of a white background. I have always thought about myself as someone who struggles with identity, in some ways i feel like i stand out but in other ways i feel like i can blend into a background or a crowd when i want too. i kept this thought going by blurring out my face in the photograph. I then decided to change the face and background white to match each other, i liked the way this image looked and felt like it expressed my feelings of no identity. but not strong enough about hiding...