Skip to main content

Kirsty Barquist Portfolio

I wanted to continue my last two reports on portfolio with one more paper based and one more digital portfolio. I wanted to go to the museum on Friday but i was feeling unwell and i was trying to organize the next time i could go but was struggling to find the time. Once a week i go round to my sisters to catch up and help her around the house if she needs it when i had an idea, why not look at her portfolio. Although i have seen her portfolio before i had not had her go through it with me and talk about it. The first thing i asked her is why her portfolio is paper based and why it is beneficial to her. Kirsty said that not only was it beneficial to when she applied to further her education it is, to her, a log and a creative line she was going down that she has now lost.

This was very interesting to me because she was using her portfolio now completely for her own reasons, all the other portfolios i have looked at have been to sell, to apply for college or too show off work in some way. Kirsty's portfolio is for her to start again where she left off, to examine and to progress in her own art work.






All these images above are about her personal struggles with MS. This she liked to look back on and reflect on how she over come them or how she felt at the time.A portfolio is just as important to the artists as it is to who it is being shown too.

It also contained life drawings and self portraits, I learned in my other reports the reasons artists include these in their portfolio.




It made me think about my own progression and being able to look back on my work from the portfolio I am currently building and be able to see my progression. I have done this slightly before and it is interesting to see a drawings or painting, that I thought was quite good, and now I can see some of the errors in them. I think for my portfolio this is what i will be using it for, because it is my first year. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Art & Design project HNC

Art & Design project HNC This year for project i wanted to work with moving image again but try and really push myself. i dont want to ignore the fact that i have done research before, i want this to seem like i am pushing forwards from what i have done before. Here are blog posts i have done in the past that i am going to use as a foundation to build upon. https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/01/for-my-new-unit-i-have-decided-to-look.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/03/specialist-techniques-film-part-1_15.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/specialist-techniques-looking-at-more.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2017/05/green-screen.html https://catrinaannbarquist.blogspot.com/2018/06/art-project-evaluation.html Tony Oursler  is an American multimedia and installation artist. I looked at his work last year. I really liked his work, I love the first two and the use of 3D mapping for the p...

Starting experimenting with photography

After looking into the work of Henry Weston i decided to try and experiment,first, with negative space. It was something that stood out to me a lot in some of his work, as i spoke about in my report. i started by just taking a few pictures as i noticed it around me. I think these are a very interesting start and have a lot of potential, i decided to play around with the editing a bit by cropping them, changing the contrast and making them black and white.  i like this image and i think composition wise it works. i also think it looks good in black and white as it has gotten rid of the chance of clashing colours and sets a different kind of mood. The subject is in focus and it looks quite sharp. I cropped it a little and changed the contrast and exposure.  i prefer this image to the top one as i like the spacing between the feet compared to the first one i think it is more visually pleasing, i also rotated this image just as an experiment. ...

Art & Design Portfolio - Sam Cornwell (Digital)

I decided to start my research on paper based and digital portfolios by first looking at a digital portfolio. One artist who came into the college to do a talk was a photographer called Sam Cornwell, he took us through his digital portfolio. I wanted to think about why his portfolio was digital and not paper based. One of the biggest advantages of a digital portfolio is the accessibility of it. It is easy to send out to employers or people wishing to view it. It is digital so it can easily be send to someone via email or put on a USB and accessed that way. Another reason is unlike a paper based portfolio there is more than one, it is easy to dispatch without spending money on paper to print. It is also instant, you might have to wait a few days for a paper port folio to be sent by mail or spend money on travel to bring it to the person wishing to view it. With a digital portfolio one click and it is sent! I went onto Sam Cornwell's page and found out his portfolio is on his web...